The demand for the upper eyelid lift which is also known as Upper Blepharoplasty increases with age since aging is associated with multiple problems in the face, including sagging in the upper eyelid, which obscures vision, and sagging in the lower eyelid, which causes swelling and wrinkles under the eye, in addition to white fine lines and wrinkles in the corners.
Recently, modern techniques are used to treat age-related signs without the risks of surgical interventions and to restore the purity, serenity, and vitality of the facial skin through minor interventions without any serious side effects.
What do you know about Upper Blepharoplasty?
Dr. Yasser Badi introduced an overview of the Upper Blepharoplasty operation and explained that it is a cosmetic procedure that aims to get rid of excess fat, and sagging skin in the upper eyelid, and the remaining skin, together with the supporting muscle under the eyebrow which are responsible for raising the eyelid are tightened to achieve a youthful appearance, and get rid vision impairment associated with drooping upper eyelid.
Upper Blepharoplasty might need several consecutive sessions 10 days apart in some cases. Drooping upper eyelids is a common problem in advanced age due to muscle weakness in that age stage.
Rationales for Upper Blepharoplasty performing
Dr. Yasser Badi, the expert, and the plastic surgeon, explained the important motives behind performing an upper eyelid lift operation, you should think about Upper Blepharoplasty if you’re suffering from a droopy upper eyelid that is associated with the following problems:
- Vision problems such as blurred vision.
- Eyes dryness or in contrast excessive eye fluid and tears.
- Recurrent migraine headaches.
- Eyelid pain.
- In the case of obligated turning the head back to enable good vision.
- To enjoy a natural youthful facial look.
- In case of muscles or tendon injury that is supporting the upper eyelid as a result of an accident.
Non-surgical laser technique for Upper Blepharoplasty
Dr. Yasser Badi explained Upper Blepharoplasty using the physical device, the eyelid crutch. Its use depends on the installation of small medical stents to raise the upper eyelid, after melting the excess fat in that area, tightening the skin, and cutting the excess from it using one of the liposuction techniques such as laser technology.
Laser technology for liposuction relies on focusing laser frequencies at specific temperatures to melt fat which is then suctioned outside through a precise medical tube. The following step in the process is repairing the defects of the supporting muscle or removing the flaccid part of it to get the best result. The lower eyelids as well can be tightened as a companion process at the same time.
Filler injections for Upper Blepharoplasty
Dr. Yasser Badi clarified the Upper Blepharoplasty procedure using filler injections, which include natural materials that have results lasting for a year in the case of using collagen or hyaluronic acid, while the results last for two years in the case of using silicone.
Filler injections fill the voids that result from the wrinkles and then tighten the skin surrounding the eye resulting in lifting the eyelid and obtaining clearer vision and a youthful shape.
Upper Blepharoplasty using cosmetic threads
Dr. Yasser Badi explained how Upper Blepharoplasty is performed using cosmetic threads, in this technique a type of thread specially manufactured to fit with the skin and stimulate the skin to secrete collagen. These cosmetic threads are inserted under the eyelid and then gradually tighten at a rate that allows the eyelid muscles to be lifted and then these threads are removed from the front of the head, specifically the hairline.
This process is suitable for medium wrinkles, does not leave scars, and the results last up to two years.
Surgical Upper Blepharoplasty Steps
Dr. Yasser Badi explained the steps of this surgical intervention as the following:
- Local anesthesia or general anesthesia is used according to the patient’s health condition, after an allergic test.
- Small incisions are made in the droopy upper eyelid, as only one eyelid may be droopy.
- The plastic surgeon starts to separate the skin from the surrounding tissues, nerves, and muscles, without affecting them.
- The loose skin is removed by stretching the skin and then cutting off the excess.
- The process involves suctioning out excess fat from the body.
- Excision of part of the supporting muscle if it is more relaxed than it should be.
- Close the surgical incision using a thin suture.
Preparations before Upper Blepharoplasty surgery
Dr. Yasser Badi provides several important instructions and precautions that you should take into consideration before performing an Upper Blepharoplasty operation, and these preparations are as follows:
- Prepare ice cubes to make cold compresses on the eye when feeling pain.
- Prepare Vaseline bandages for a higher degree of hydration for a quick recovery.
- Bring lubricating medicated eye drops based on the instructions of the plastic surgeon.
- Preparing medical painkillers prescribed by the doctor.
- Preparing pieces of delicate cotton cloth for the safe disposal of fluids and secretions after the operation.
Instructions to be followed after Upper Blepharoplasty
Dr. Yasser Badi provides several important pieces of advice and instructions after completing the operation for a quick recovery, and these tips are:
- Use cold compresses and moisturizing ointment as prescribed.
- Planning for the partner to assist you after the operation.
- Stay away from light as much as possible for three days.
- Avoid prone positions in sleeping.
- Avoid blood thinner medications throughout the recovery period.
Upper Blepharoplasty Results
Dr. Yasser Badi illustrates that the patient would enjoy permanent results that last for seven years that would be noticed immediately after the completion of the recovery period following upper eyelid lift sessions that are maximally two sessions.
Upper Blepharoplasty cost
Upper Blepharoplasty costs vary as Dr. Yasser Badi emphasized according to whether the operation is performed in one eye or both eyes, the type of anesthesia, and the technique used, whether surgical or non-surgical, based on medical sutures, laser beams, or Vaser technology.
The operation cost often ranges between two thousand US dollars as a minimum and five thousand US dollars as a maximum cost.
Instructions for conserving plastic surgery results
Dr. Yasser Badi, a cosmetic expert, has advised all patients who are about to experience plastic surgery that there are issues that must be followed after the operation since the success of the operation is not limited to the role of the plastic surgeon only, but there is another role for the patient that cannot be ignored, and below we present some important instructions :
- Do not drink excess caffeine, tea, and coffee.
- Do not take any medications without the doctor’s prescription.
- Avoid body peeling throughout the recovery period.
- Drink an adequate amount of water and fluids to maintain skin hydration.
- Eat healthy food rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Avoid gaining excess weight to save plastic surgery results.
- Routine exercise.
Book now online to get offers and discounts
Plastic surgery & body contouring specialist
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
Alexandria University Master of Plastic Surgery
Egyptian Fellowship for Plastic Surgery